What are whole foods?
Whole foods are foods that are not processed and are not refined or foods that are minimally processed and refined. It entails foods that appear great as it appears in nature or near to it.
This is due to the fact that all the nutrients and fibers contained in whole foods including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts or seeds are by nature perfectly organized. Series of researches conducted recently suggested that we should eat mainly whole foods which mean foods that are nearly close to their natural state.
Eating whole foods, thus, means eating the following:
- Whole grains in place of refined grains
- Fruits, vegetables, beans and nuts rather than supplements that supply the fiber and vitamins they are composed of.
- A chicken breast without the skin cooked with healthy ingredients rather than processed and flavored chicken nuggets with preservatives
- A baked potato with chopped up green onions and mild sour cream rather than a carrier of sour cream and onion potato chips.
- Fresh berries for breakfast rather than processed raspberry toast pie
- A blueberry smoothie made from blueberries, yogurt, and frozen banana in place of slushy form or ice with blue coloring.
How whole foods benefit your health?
It has been proved by a lot of studies that whole food diets; fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes are highly beneficial to the body. It is believed by a lot of health experts that a diet consisting of whole foods is the best for improved health and disease prevention. Whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and legumes maintain the fiber content and are as well composed of all the useful phytochemicals your body requires for normal growth and functioning.
The human body functions optimally on natural foods and foods that are near their natural forms. The long lasting effect of eating healthy food is longer life span.
Some of the advantages of whole food diets are:
- Whole foods contain sufficient amount of phytochemicals. Phytochemicals are potent nutrients that are present in plant foods.
- When compared with processed foods, whole foods are packed with additional vitamins and minerals.
- Whole foods also contain extra fibers and healthy fats.
- The nutrient’s mixtures in whole plant foods function together to protect our body from disease attack.
- Eating whole food plant diets lead to improved level of blood sugar
- Eating of whole grain foods provide your body with enough natural fiber that aids in the process of digestion and as well keep you full.
Whether it is whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and beans, you would get adequate supply of fiber which is the most useful nutrient for healthy blood sugar, proper digestion, and a healthy heart.
- Whole foods supply your body with more energy to carry out its day to day activities. This is so because the breakdown of whole foods takes place gradually leading to a gradual release of energy which can sustain you for a longer period.
- Whole food plants are made up of carbohydrates, fiber and plant-based protein that are made up of amino acids and healthy fats.
- They lead to less Muscle Pain and inflammation.
- Whole foods are more satisfying and nutritious
- They nourish and satisfy your body suitably. Fruits and vegetables prevent the body from becoming sick, overweight and from being lethargic. Apart from helping us to remain healthy and fit, they are as well the main ingredients we need to attain a healthy lifestyle choice.
Examples of whole foods
Examples of whole foods are: unrefined grains, beans, fruits, vegetables, and animal products like meats and non-homogenized dairy products.
Whole food diets and unrefined foods are made up of foods like whole grains, dark green vegetables and yellow or orange-fleshed vegetables and fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds. Examples of whole food meals are stated below.
Recommended whole food for Breakfast:
- Oats or other whole food hot breakfast grains like quinoa, barley, brown rice, and so on
- Beans or scrambled tofu taken with vegetables
- Nut butter on whole grain bread toast
Recommended whole food for lunch and dinner:
- Vegetable stir–fry
- Home prepared vegetable, split pea, or lentil soups
- Beans and brown rice
- Salad sandwiches stuffed with pita
- Roasted vegetables and tempeh instead of quinoa
- Vegetable salads, sliced vegetables, grain or bean based salads
How best whole food supplements can help you get whole food nutrients
There are two type of supplements: Isolated supplements and Whole Food Supplements. Whole food supplements are produced from concentrated extracts of whole foods, and are made up of essential vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other nutrients required to provide the body with adequate nourishment.
Whole food supplement are easily assimilated into the body system due to the fact that they are made up of natural ingredients.
Isolated supplements on the opposite side are made up of artificial nutrients that are formulated in the lab.
As opposed to whole food diets, they are not made up of enzymes and other essential micronutrients required by the body for adequate food absorption and utilization by the body due to the fact that they are not made from natural products.
Why you need best whole Food Supplements
The majorities of western diets do not contain enough nutrients required for normal body functioning; they are not adequate for sustaining a healthy hormone balance, supporting of heart’s function, maintenance of proper bone function and catering for reproductive health.
In reality, a huge percentage of Americans don’t get enough quantities of basic nutrients like calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K2.
Whole food supplements are essential to make sure that the individual receive sufficient daily amounts of the required nutrients.
Active ingredients in best whole food supplements and their Health Benefits
A lot of whole food supplements whether in the form of powder or tablet contain green foods such as spirulina and chlorella. These two foods are made up of powerful phytochemicals that help to fight cancer, rebuild nerve tissue, purify the blood and help in the detoxification of the liver. A good source of spirulina is made up of protein roughly more than twelve times the quantity contained in beef.
Although, it is best to eat natural foods than supplement, it is not that easy to eat up to five servings of natural whole food everyday and this is why supplement is essential. Fruits and vegetables are made up of phytochemicals which help the body to get rid of different forms of diseases.
Whole food supplements also contain mixture of medicinal mushrooms such as lion’s mane, maitake, reishi and cordyceps. The great potent ingredients in these mushrooms assist in the regulation of blood sugar, lowering of blood pressure, fighting of cancer and boosting of the body’s immune system. Whole food supplements may also boost your energy and help you to fight chronic fatigue, digestive issues and depression.
Whole foods are very vital for optimal functioning of the body. To remain healthy and prevent diseases, your body needs diets majorly made up of whole foods.
It is not always easy to maintain these daily dietary requirements. To ensure that your body gets enough nutrients it requires each day for normal functioning and to fight diseases, you need to make up what is lacking in your daily diet by supplementing with best whole food supplements.
There are a lot of supplements out there. What you need for proper body functioning and for optimal result is best whole food supplements; it is not isolated food supplements.